Learn more about ADHD to better manage ADHD.
This seems to come naturally for parents of children with ADHD, but it is equally important for adults who have (or suspect they have) Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. When you learn more about ADHD, , you can best evaluate how to manage it. You will also be able to learn best practices that others use. Below I have compiled some of my recommendations.
Some general tips
- Check your sources. Be sure they are based in sound research principles.
- Beware of extremes, especially when sources are talking about “cures”. I recently saw an article that claimed to share the “cure” to ADHD and it really concerned me. I do not like to see people being misled. There is not a “cure” for ADHD, but there are many different options to managing ADHD. Remember, if something sounds to good to be true, it probably is!
- Stay current. Research regarding ADHD is ongoing so we can learn new information over time.
Recommendations for Educating Yourself about ADHD
Below, you will find a few options for educating yourself about ADHD. Please check them out and add your suggestions in our Comments section.
- Center for Disease Control Symptom List: http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/diagnosis.html
- Video of Dr. Russell Barkley discussing ADHD Understanding and Management: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3d1SwUXMc0
- National Resource Center on ADHD: http://www.help4adhd.org/
- Read Dr. Thomas E. Brown’s new book, “A New Understanding of ADHD in Children and Adults”. You can see his Model of ADHD here: http://www.drthomasebrown.com/brown_model/index.html
- Check out the archives of my Practical ADHD Strategies radio show and upcoming episodes to get tips and strategies about working with your ADHD.
What are your favorite ways to learn about ADHD?
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.